Hammack who teaches at Little Temples Childcare in Arlington smelled smoke, checked that the children were all napping, and rushed out of the classroom to investigate.
The chicken nuggets were causing a fire in the oven, so Hammack quickly extinguished the flames before the fire fighters arrived. After putting out the fire, the teacher safely evacuated all her students.
However, despite her quick-thinking, the teacher got fired after her boss pointed out that she left children unattended.
“I fired her only because she left her room,” facility owner Olga Rozhaov said. “It’s not acceptable, and if anybody else does the same thing, I will fire again. I will fire them. No question.”
“It probably would have progressed had it not been put out before [the fire trucks arrived],” Hammack defended her actions. “I didn’t start the fire. I put it out.”
The case is currently under investigation.