3-year-old Finley Boyle died Friday evening after receiving a root canal procedure last week.
Mother Ashley Boyle took her daughter Finley to Island Dentistry in Kailua to undergo four root canals. To prep for the procedure, the little girl received a group of strong sedatives including Demerol. Within 26 minutes, Finley went into cardiac arrest.
According to a lawsuit filed by the family, Finley didn’t receive immediate CPR, as the dental staff instead rushed to a nearby pediatrician for help. The family’s attorney, Rick Fried, explained that the staff improperly administered the sedatives and that the dental work itself was even unnecessary.
“We’re just shocked that these drugs, in these doses, in this combination, could be given to a child of this size,” Fried said in a statement.
Finley was declared brain dead until she finally succumbed to her injuries on Friday.